In 1965, a good 75 years after the first electronic fire-alarm system was invented, Duane D. Pearsall created a home version that was affordable and powered by a single battery.
References to some articles and publications
- "America Burning: The Report of the National Commission on Fire Prevention and Control", U.S. Government Printing Office, 1973.
- "Duane Pearsall, inventor of smoke detector, dies in Denver". Summit Daily. Summit County, Colorado: Swift Communications, Inc. 15 April 2010.
- "Duane Pearsall, smoke-detector pioneer, dies at 88". Denver Business Journal. Denver, Colorado: American City Business Journals. 15 April 2010.
- "Home smoke detector inventor dies". University of Denver Magazine. Denver, Colorado. 5 May 2010.
- "How to Protect Your Home From Thieves". Popular Mechanics. Hearst Magazines. 157 (1): 155. January 1982.
- Lucht, David A. (1 March 2013). "Where's There's Smoke". NFPA Journal. National Fire Protection Association.
- Lucht, David A., "Legal Requirements for Fire Alarms in Ohio Dwellings," Fire Journal, NFPA, March, 1972.
- Lucht, David A., "The Most Important Technological Breakthrough of the 20th Century," Fire Protection Engineering, January 2015.
- "NRC: Fact Sheet on Smoke Detectors". NRC.gov. United States Nuclear Regulation Commission. 4 September 2013.
- Ha, Peter (25 October 2010). "Smoke Detector". Time Magazine. No. ALL-TIME 100 Gadgets. Time, Inc. p. 1.
- Wallis, Ian (1 November 2013). 50 Best Business Ideas That Changed the World. Jaico Publishing House. ISBN 9788184952841.
- Voluntary Standards and Accreditation Act of 1977, Act No. S. 825 of 1 March 1977 (in English).
- "Gordon Library:Recipient Profiles - WPI". Wpi.edu. Worcester Polytechnic Institute. 1 April 2004. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Duane Pearsall Collection at DigitalWPI
Blackwell, Lyman L., "Aerosol Detection Device," United States Patent 4093886A, July 6, 1976.
Blackwell, Lyman L. & Staby, Paul A., "Self-Monitoring Battery Operated Circuit," United States Patent 3778800, April 9, 1971.
Lucht, David A., “The Most Important Fire Protection Breakthrough in the 20th Century” SFPE, April 24, 2012.
Craig Beyler, David Lucht , Margaret McNamee , Peter Johnson and Chris Dubay, "The affordable home smoke alarm, Lyman Blackwell- 2015 DiNenno Prize winner" Fire Science Reviews
- Fitzgerald, Paul, Mawhinney, John, Slye, Orville, Water-Based Fire Suppression, History of Fire Protection Engineering, (J. Kenneth Richardson, Editor), SFPE/NFPA, 2003.
- Belanger, R., D.W. Buckley, and J.B. Swenson. Environmental Assessment of Ionization Chamber Smoke Detectors Containing Am-241. Science Applications Inc., November 1979.
- Bukowski, Richard W., and G.W. Mulhol-land. Smoke Detector Design and Smoke Properties. National Bureau of Standards, National Engineering Laboratory, Center for Fire Research, 1978.
Andrews, Edmund L. "Central System for Smoke Detection." The New York Times, February 1, 1993, p. D2.
"Sounds Like Fire." Discover, May 1994, p. 16
"Listening for Hidden Fires." Science News, July 24, 1993, p. 63.
"Smoke Detectors: Essential for Safety." Consumer Reports, May 1994, pp. 336-39.
Fire Safety Journal
Structural Fire Engineering
Journal of Fire Science
American Society of Safety Engineers - ASSE, America's oldest professional safety organization, was founded six months after the Triangle fire. Its "Century of Safety" site provides information on the fire and the events leading to the establishment of the society.
- WPI Fire Protection Engineering Graduate Internship Program
- Fire Protection Engineering Scholarships
- Recommended Background for FPE Majors
- WPI Fire Protection Engineering Board of Advisors
Explore a long list of fire laboratories and resources beyond those found on the WPI campus. To learn how you can gain access to these resources, contact the FPE Department.
- ASTM International Directory of Testing Laboratories
- The Duisburg Gerhard-Mercator University’s Fire Detection Laboratory
- Fire Research Station, Building Research Establishment, United Kingdom
- Fire SERT: University of Ulster, Fire Safety Engineering Research and Technology Center
- NIST Building and Fire Research Laboratory
- Swedish National Testing and Research Institute
- Western Fire Center, Inc. in Kelso, WA
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- National Research Council Canada
- NIST Building and Fire Research Laboratory
- U.S. Coast Guard R&D Center
- U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
- U.S. Fire Administration
- Massachusetts Firefighter Academy
Professional Societies and Organizations
- The Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE)
- SFPE New England Chapter
- The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- National Fire Academy Alumni Association (IAFSS)
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- International Standards Organization (ISO)
- The Fire Protection Association Australia (FPA)
Equipment Manufacturers and Associations
Advanced fire suppression
Building fire safety
Detection, alarm and smoke control
Fire Safety for Public
FPE as a discipline
Fire Safety Systems
Fire Research and Safety Act 1968
Clockguy.com --- Simplex History